RECIPE: Mini mac 'n cheese bakes
Rumour has it this creamy, cheesy pasta dish was invented by US president Thomas Jefferson
10ml (2 tsp) oil
500ml (2 cups) milk
60g (½ cup) cake flour
250g (2½ cups) grated combination of mature and mild cheddar cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2.5ml (½ tsp) ground nutmeg
250g cherry tomatoes, cut in half
60g (1 cup) fresh white breadcrumbs
- Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water and drain. Toss with a little oil to stop it sticking together and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the milk in the microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- In a large pot, melt ¾ of the butter and stir in the flour. Cook over a low heat for 2 minutes, whisking all the time.
- Pour in the hot milk slowly, whisking continuously for a further 2 minutes until sauce is thick and smooth.
- Remove from heat and mix in the cheeses, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Mix in the macaroni and pour into small individual ovenproof dishes.
- Arrange the halved cherry tomatoes on top.
- Rub the remaining butter into the breadcrumbs and sprinkle this mixture over the top.
- Bake until the sauce is bubbly and browned on top — about 15 minutes.