RECIPE: Benny Masekwameng's braaied chicken liver skewers
Chicken livers cooked on skewers don't dry out over the coals, says celebrity chef Benny Masekwameng. He suggests topping these budget-friendly kebabs with caramelised onions
Makes: 6 skewers
Bamboo skewers, soaked in water so they don't burn over the coals
500g chicken livers
75ml (5 tbsp) olive oil
15ml (1 tbsp) BBQ seasoning
A handful of fresh chopped coriander
- In a medium bowl, mix the livers, olive oil, seasoning and coriander until the livers are well coated.
- Skewer the livers on the bamboo sticks.
- Braai over medium heat, basting continuously with the leftover olive oil, coriander and seasoning mix, until the livers are cooked medium, which should take about 5 minutes. Don't overcook.
- Serve with caramelised onions (recipe below).
Olive oil for frying
3 large onions, peeled and cut into thin rings
5ml (1 tsp) finely chopped garlic
45ml (3 tbsp) brown sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
30ml (2 tbsp) fresh thyme
- Heat a little oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions have softened and are browning around the edges.
- Add the sugar and seasoning and turn heat down to a simmer.
- Let the onions cook for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add the thyme and adjust seasoning and cook for a further 5 to 7 minutes or until the onions have caramelised.
- Remove thyme twigs before serving with chicken liver skewers, boerewors or steak.