RECIPE | Easy chicken & vegetable kebabs
These tasty chicken kebabs are quick to rustle up and easy to braai, or make in griddle pan over a gas burner, if there's a power outage
4 large chicken breast fillets, halved lengthways and cut into cubes
8 wooden kebab sticks, soaked in water for 15 minutes and drained
15ml (1 tbsp) brown sugar - or use runny honey
45ml (3 tbsp) soy sauce
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
10ml (2 tsp) grated fresh ginger
Finely grated zest and juice of a lime
5ml (1 tsp) chilli flakes, optional or use less for a less spicy option
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large red and yellow pepper, cored and cut into chunks
2 large courgettes, cut into chunks
1 large onion, cut into chunks
1 punnet button mushrooms
8 cherry tomatoes
1 large aubergine, cut into chunks, salted and left for 10 minutes, rinsed and dried
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a large bowl. Add the chicken and stir through. Cover and leave to stand for 30 minutes for the flavours to infuse.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade. Thread each stick with a piece of chicken followed by courgette, pepper and onion pieces. Repeat three times for each stick.
- Preheat a grill or griddle pan, adding a splash of olive oil. Cook the kebabs for 5 minutes per side, ensuring the chicken is cooked through. Don't overcrowd the pan.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon and sweet chilli sauce or chutney.
- To save costs and make the chicken go further, add a selection of seasonal vegetables.
- For variation use cubes of beef or pork instead of chicken and for vegetarians try feta, halloumi or tofu.