How to style your little one's afro
Expert tips that'll help you care for your child's hair
Caring for the locks of your little ones may leave you feeling a little tangled up. Not only is children's hair different to adult hair but it also needs to be handled in a gentle and non-invasive way. Children's hair tends to be softer, as the medulla at the core of the hair strands is still developing.
As children get older, their hair starts to become coarser and this is when the struggle starts for many parents. African children's hair tends to be less manageable at this stage.
In addition, children's hair has a lot of density as this is when the hair strands are at their highest volume - as we age, we lose hair from breakage or thinning.
Parents with kids who have Afro hair can end up being tempted to use chemicals to make it more manageable and easier to style. Instead of using chemicals, use a rich conditioner after shampooing to soften hair. Style hair in twists or thick braids overnight to make combing easier in the morning.
1. Mix water with a little bit of conditioner in a spray bottle and apply it on tresses to detangle hair before styling.
2. Afro hair can be difficult to manage when styling, causing a lot of tears. Be very gentle with the hair. Gather a small amount of hair at a time and lightly comb out with a wide-toothed comb.
HAIR PRODUCTS TO TRY
• Dark & Lovely Beautiful Beginnings Easy Shampoo, R40 for 250ml.
• Pure Beginnings Balancing Conditioner with Organic Aloe and Argan, R110 for 250ml.
• The Perfect Kinky Coil Style and Define, R200 for 250ml.
• Cetaphil Baby Wash and Shampoo, R92.70 for 230ml.
TOP SALONS FOR JOZI KIDS
Afrokids Salon, Rivonia
What they do: Part hair salon, part daycare centre, you can drop your kid off for a quick cut or braided hairstyle while you carry on "adulting".
What they do: This winter wonderland with Iceland-themed décor caters for all hair types, as well as babies.
Chop It Kids Hair Salon, Randpark Ridge
What they do: Offers trendy styling techniques, such as colour gels and chalks.
digital access - or try
a day pass for
only R15! SUBSCRIBE