RECIPE: Thai pork cabbage wraps
You can replace the pork mince with beef, lamb or chicken mince in this easy Thai dish, says TV chef Justine Drake
Serves: 6 as a starter
3 - 4 baby cabbages (or use baby cos lettuce or witlof leaves)
60ml (¼ cup) jasmine rice
Splash of canola or peanut oil for frying
400g pork mince
1 stalk lemongrass, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
5cm knob of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
30ml (2 tbsp) fish sauce
Juice of two limes
5ml (1 tsp) brown sugar
A handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped plus extra
Salt and milled pepper to taste
A bundle of spring onions, chopped
A handful of mint, leaves tornMethod:
1. Blanch cabbage leaves for about 45 seconds in boiling water and then transfer to an ice bath. Drain well.
2. Heat a wok or frying pan over medium heat. Add rice and cook, stirring, for three to four minutes or until lightly golden. Transfer to a mortar and gently pound with a pestle until crushed. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in wok/pan over high heat until just smoking. Add mince and brown. Add lemongrass, garlic, ginger and chilli and cook, tossing, for about two minutes or until aromatic. Remove from heat.5. Add fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, coriander and rice. Stir. Set aside for 10 minutes.
6. Season, add spring onion, mint and extra coriander.
7. Arrange leaves on a platter. Spoon mince into each cabbage leaf. Serve with soy sauce and fresh lime on the side.
• For more delicious recipes, catch Justine Drake on 'Just Cooking' on SABC 3 (DStv channel 193) on Tuesdays at 8.30pm.