RECIPE: Pizza empanadas
It's easy to customise these bite-sized, deep-fried pies with your choice of filling. Look to classic pizza toppings for inspiration
240g (2 cups) plain flour
15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
15ml (1 tbsp) cachaça or vodka
15ml (1 tbsp) salt
185ml (¾ cup) water
Mozzarella (or use ham and cheese, heart of palm or shredded chicken)
Fresh tomato, sliced
Tobasco sauce, to serve
- To make the pastry, place the flour and salt in a big bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Add the egg, oil and selected alcohol, adding a little water at a time to bring dough together while mixing.
- Lightly dust a countertop with flour and knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- Place the dough back into bowl and cover with a towel to rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 15 equal balls. Flatten each dough ball with a rolling pin.
- Place a full teaspoon of your chosen filling on the dough and spread evenly. Pinch the seam with your fingers (or a fork) to make sure it is closed.
- Deep-fry the pastries for about 8 minutes or until golden brown. Pat dry with a paper towel and serve with Tabasco sauce.