RECIPE | Tipsy tart roll
Sunday Times reader Jenny Kay uses a food processor to make quick work of baking this boozy date swiss roll that's filled with mascarpone cream
Serves: 6 - 8
250ml (1 cup) brown sugar
15ml (1 tbsp) butter
125ml (½ cup) water
180g dried dates, chopped
180ml boiling water
5ml (1 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
30ml (2 tbsp) brandy
180ml brown sugar
180ml cake flour
5ml (1 tsp) baking powder
250g mascarpone cheese
250ml (1 cup) whipping cream
- To make the brandy syrup, combine all the ingredients in a small pot and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- For the date sponge, combine the dates, boiling water and bicarbonate of soda in the bowl of a food processor. Cover with the lid and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Add in the butter, brandy and brown sugar and process until the mixture is smooth.
- Add in the eggs, flour and baking powder and process until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a lined and greased swiss roll pan measuring 25x30cm.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and turn the sponge out onto a piece of baking paper that's been sprinkled with castor sugar. Peel away the lining paper and drizzle over some of the brandy syrup.
- Starting at one of the short sides, gently roll up the sponge along with the baking paper and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile make the filling. Combine the mascarpone cheese and cream in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until thick. Drizzle in about 45ml (3 tbsp) of the brandy syrup to sweeten the mixture.
- To assemble the dish, unroll the sponge and spread with the filling. Roll up and chill until ready to serve.
- To serve, dust with icing sugar and decorate with fresh raspberries.
• This recipe earned Jenny Kay a spot in the finals of the 2018 Sunday Times Goodlife Gautrain Taste Experience.