One of the world's 16 best cheeses hails from Bapsfontein
Belnori Boutique Cheesery has put Bapsfontein, Ekurhuleni, on the culinary map after cleaning up at the 2018 annual World Cheese Awards in Bergen, Norway, at the start of November.
Belnori's Kilembe, a hard, caprino-style goat cheese, was not only crowned Best South African Cheese, but also one of the top 16 cheeses in the world at this contest, which is billed as the "planet’s biggest ‘cheese-only’ competition". That's no small feat considering a record-breaking 3,472 cheeses from 41 countries were competing for top honours this year.
A panel of judges was given the enviable task of tasting all that cheese in order to dish out Bronze, Silver, Gold and Super Gold awards to worthy entries. A mere 78 cheeses were awarded Super Gold status.
Belnori Boutique Cheesery once again shone as the only local cheesemaker to scoop Super Gold awards for their Kilembe and for Kalabash, a romano-style cheese.
South Africa’s display of cheesemaking excellence did not end with Belnori's winning streak; the country in fact produced an additional 19 award-winning cheeses.
- President Mature Cheddar (Parmalat Stellenbosch)
- Meze Halloumi (VP) (Meze Foods)
- Mascarpone (Lancewood Cheese Holdings)
- Woolworths Brie De Roche (Fairview Cheese Company)
- Meze Braailoumi (Meze Foods)
- Balmoral (Belnori Boutique Cheesery)
- Klein River Parmesan (Klein River Cheese)
- Meze Mascarpone (Lancewood Cheese Holdings)
- Woolworths Roydon (Fairview Cheese Company)
- Klein River Overberg (Klein River Cheese)
- Meze Chevin (Meze Foods)
- Tanglewood (Belnori Boutique Cheesery)
- Forest Phantom (Belnori Boutique Cheesery)
- Cheddar 2 Months (Parmalat Stellenbosch)
- Meze Halloumi (Meze Foods)
- Royal Ashton (La Mont Cheese)
- Woolworths De De Leeuwen (Fairview Cheese Company)
- Klein River Gruberg Mature (Klein River Cheese)
- Woolworths Mature Cheddar (Parmalat Stellenbosch)