RECIPE | Hearty chicken & vegetable soup
Ideal for breaking your fast during Ramadan, this filling soup is a winter favourite. Best of all, it's budget-friendly too
375 ml (1½ cups) split peas
4 whole cloves
2 whole allspice (pimento)
6 pieces chicken
Salt and black pepper to taste
2.5 ml (½ tsp) cayenne pepper
3 carrots, peeled and finely grated
2 onions, grated
1 potato, peeled and grated
250ml (1 cup) finely chopped celery
250ml (1 cup ) pasta of your choice
- In a large pot filled with water, boil the split peas and whole spices for 1 hour or until the split peas are soft and mushy.
- Next, add the chicken, salt and pepper, cayenne pepper, carrots, onions, potato and 500ml (2 cups) warm water and cook for 30 minutes on medium to high heat.
- Now add the celery and cook for a further 20 minutes. Add more warm water as needed.
- Lastly, add the pasta and bring the temperature down to between medium and low and allow the pasta to cook until al dente or soft to the touch.
- Serve with freshly baked bread smothered in butter and jam. Delicious!
Cook's tip: Do not place the lid on the pot at any point while making this soup, as the split peas will cause it to boil over.
• This recipe is extracted from 'Cape, Curry & Koesisters' (Human & Rousseau, R350). The authors, twin sisters Fatima Sydow and Gadija Sydow Noordien, like nothing better than sharing their Cape culture through their love of cooking and baking. The pair decided to publish a cookbook following the success of TV show, 'Kaap, Kerrie & Koesisters'. The book is a visual feast and includes some excellent ideas for Ramadan and the Eid celebration.