RECIPE | Vegan cashew 'cream cheese'
This 'creamy' spread is delicious slathered on a bagel. You can easily double or triple the recipe if you wish
Makes: About 1 cup
150g cashew nuts
2 probiotic capsules
Salt to taste
- Cover the cashews with warm water and leave to soak overnight in the fridge. Rinse before using.
- Once the cashews are soft, blend them in a high-powered blender.
- Open the probiotic capsules and empty the contents into the blended cashews. Pulse to incorporate.
- Cover the blender with a damp dishtowel and allow to rest at room temperature for about 12 hours - the warmer the room, the quicker the probiotic can multiply.
- When small bubbles start to appear, blend in salt to taste.
- Transfer to an airtight container (a glass jar works well) and store in the fridge for up to a week.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Sasha Zambetti is executive chef at Kaylee’s Eatery in Bedfordview, Joburg, which specialises in vegetarian/vegan food. She has worked in culinary fields from bush catering to fine dining, run her own cookery school and hosted a TV show.