It's the perfect weather for mulled wine: here's how to make some
A winter classic, this boozy sip is flavoured with warming spices. Not a fan of alcoholic drinks? You can make it with fruit juice instead
12 June 2020 - 13:06
1 bottle red wine
Zest and juice of 2 oranges
1 sliced orange
1 sliced lemon
1 stick of cinnamon
5ml (1 tsp) ground nutmeg
1 bay leaf
3 allspice berries
1 star anise
A generous knob of finely sliced ginger
- Combine all the ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 15 minutes over a low heat.
- Remove from the heat and allow to stand for at least 30 minutes for the flavours to infuse.
- Just before serving, heat through and serve with extra citrus slices, if desired.
- To make a nonalcoholic version of this hot drink, replace the wine with 1 litre red grape juice, 250ml (1 cup) cranberry or pomegranate juice and 30ml (1 tbsp) pomegranate molasses or syrup.
- For an even more decadent sip, top your glass of mulled wine with a dollop of rum or brandy butter. To make some, simply mix 45ml (3 tbsp) softened butter with 15ml (1 tbsp) rum or brandy.