Four delicious ways to get your bacon fix beyond brekkie
Our food editor shares some great ideas
1. CANDIED BACON
Deliciously crispy and moreish, candied bacon works with sweet and savoury dishes. Try it with pancakes, sprinkled over a salad or served as garnish over braaied ribs, chops or steak. Be warned: it’s addictive!
Here's how to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Lay a piece of greaseproof paper on a baking tray and top it with a rack.
- In a bowl, combine 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp white vinegar, 1 tbsp golden syrup and a grinding of black pepper.
- Rub 250g of streaky bacon slices with the mixture and lay out on the rack.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then baste again with sugar mixture and bake at 160ºC for a further 10 minutes. If it’s crispy and sticky, it’s ready; if not, baste and bake for another 5 minutes.
2. BUY A JAR OF RICHARD BOSMAN’S BACONNAISE
You won’t regret it. This mayo is made with "whole grain mustard and a dollop of bacon fat"; lather it over anything that needs that yummy bacon flavour. You can order it online from Richard Bosman's Quality Cured Meats
3. BACON HALLOUMI STICKS FOR THE BRAAI
Cut rashers of streaky bacon in half and wrap around blocks of halloumi cheese. Thread onto kebab sticks alternating with cubes of white bread, which soak up the juices beautifully. Cook over the coals till crispy and eat immediately.
4. BACON BURGER
Tart up a hamburger patty by wrapping two slices of streaky bacon around it to form a cross on the top. Secure with a toothpick at the bottom, taking care to remove before serving, and cook over the grill till the bacon is crispy and the burger is cooked through.