RECIPES | Young chefs on the rise share secret to their popular dishes
Simphiwe 'Sims' Kubeka and Nolu Johnson Ngqondi share their best and much-loved recipes
EASY CHIFFON CAKE
Makes: 1 large cake
500ml (2 cups) cake wheat flour
375ml (1½ cups) sugar
15ml (1 tbsp) baking powder
5ml (1 tsp) salt
125ml (½ cup) oil
7 extra large eggs
190ml cold water
10ml (2 tsp) vanilla essence
10ml (2 tsp) finely grated lemon rind
2,5ml (½ tsp) cream of tartar
- Sift the dry ingredients. Make a well in the centre and add the oil, egg yolks, water, vanilla and lemon rind. Beat well with a wooden spoon.
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff but not dry and carefully fold into the egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into an ungreased chiffon cake tin and bake at 180ºC for 40-50 minutes until cooked through.
- Invert the cake tin and cool completely before removing. Dust with sifted icing sugar or a butter icing.
CREAMY CHICKEN AND MUSHROOM LINGUINE
400g linguine pasta
30ml (2 tbsp) oil
A generous pinch of salt
Chicken and mushroom filling:
400g chicken fillets, cut into strips
Salt and pepper
Cajun spice, optional
15ml (1 tbsp) oil
60ml (4 tbsp) butter
1 red onion, chopped
250g mushrooms, chopped
125ml (½ cup) cream
30ml (2 tbsp) butter
30ml (2 tbsp) flour
125ml (½ cup) milk
Salt and pepper to taste
A pinch of nutmeg
Chopped parsley, to serve
- Fill a large pot with lukewarm water. Bring to the boil adding the oil and salt. Add the pasta and cook till al dente, about 8-10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water and return to the empty pot to keep warm.
- While the pasta is cooking, season the chicken with salt and pepper and Cajun spice. In a pan heat the oil and butter and fry the chicken until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan add the onion and mushrooms and sauté until cooked. Return the chicken to the pan and add the cream. Add the white sauce and stir through the cream. Add to the pasta.
- For the sauce, melt the butter, add the flour and whisk till you have a roux, before adding the milk and whisking until you have a thick creamy sauce. If too thick, add extra milk and season, and add the nutmeg. Add to the creamy chicken pasta and serve immediately topped with chopped parsley.