RECIPE | Mini marmalade malva puds
A sweet twist on one of SA’s favourite desserts, these malva puddings are made using marmalade instead of the traditional apricot jam
180ml (¾ cup) caster sugar
2 large eggs
30ml (2 tbsp) marmalade
7.5ml (1 ½ tsp) orange zest
375ml (1 ½ cups) flour
5ml (1 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
30g butter, melted
15ml (1 tbsp) vinegar
180ml (¾ cup) milk
Ice cream to serve
125ml (½ cup) cream
60ml (¼ cup) brown sugar
60ml (¼ cup) water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a muffin pan well.
- Cream the sugar and eggs together until pale and thick. Stir in the marmalade and orange zest.
- Sift the flour, bicarb and salt into a separate bowl.
- Combine the melted butter, vinegar and milk in another bowl.
- Add half of the wet ingredients to the egg mixture and mix to combine. Then add half of the dry ingredients and mix again. Add the remaining wet and dry ingredients and mix together until combined.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tray, dividing it equally between the cups. Bake for 15 minutes until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- While the puddings are baking, prepare the sauce. Place the cream, butter, brown sugar and water in a saucepan. Stir together over a medium heat until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the puddings from the muffin pan while they're warm and place in an oven dish or tray. Pour the hot sauce over the puddings and leave to stand for a few minutes. Serve with a scoop of ice cream.
• Recipe from cupcakesandcouscous.com