What's the best way to clean my sex toys?
Dr Tlaleng Mofokeng answers your sex questions
Q: What's the best way to clean my sex toys?
A: All sex toys need to be carefully cleaned, dried and stored appropriately. Taking the time to clean your sex toys and using the correct cleansers/disinfectants will help to keep them looking good and prolong their longevity.
• Glass sex toys have versatility and a beautiful appearance. Their popularity is increasing because they can be heated or cooled. The feel is smooth and firm, and they are compatible with water-based and silicone lubricants. The ultra-durable borosilicate glass gives them durability and most importantly, they won't shatter if dropped. Clean with hot water and a compatible disinfectant.
• Jelly rubber is an economical material commonly used. It has a rubbery smell, can be shaped and coloured to almost any specification. The toys can be smooth, rubbery and flexible. Skin-safe rubber is often used as a substitute for jelly rubber, offering similar properties but without phthalates. They can be rinsed and cleaned with disinfectant. Avoid storing jelly rubber toys together because the materials can react. Store away from the sun.
• Latex offers great flexibility. Latex toys require some care, and definitely requires an antibacterial spray and drying. Some people use a powder that helps the rubber stay soft, supple and flexible.
• Metal sex toys are non-porous, waterproof, skin-safe, compatible with all lubricants and are extra durable. They are the ultimate sex toy type. The metal toys are smooth, cold and rigid and they warm up to body temperature well.
Always use a condom even when you use a sex toy and do not share your toysDr Tlaleng Mofokeng
• Silicone is popular for its non-porous finish and hypoallergenic properties. Silicone is becoming the material of choice because it's easy to clean, feels smooth and if cared for well, lasts a long time. Silicone lubricants may degrade the material of toys therefore are compatible with water-based lubricants.
• Plastic toys are hard, hygienic and transfer vibrations extremely well. They are compatible with all lubes and easy to clean. Smooth coated plastic offers a velvet touch. They are odourless and do not contain latex.
• 'Thrills with Dr T', a sexual edutainment talk show, premieres February 14 at 21:30 on Moja Love (DStv Channel 157).
• Dr Tlaleng Mofokeng (MBChB), sexual and reproductive health practice, DISA Clinic, 011-886-2286, visit safersex.co.za
Do you have a question about sex?
E-mail your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org with SEX TALK as the subject. Anonymity is assured.